Scroll air compressors have been around for decades, but only recently have they become a major player in the compressed air industry.
Today, oil-free scroll air compressors are proven and well received as key components in medical research and development (R&D) laboratories and in pharmaceutical, toxicological and medical testing facilities. legal. Laboratories use air in their nitrogen generation process, which requires clean air and clean, dry compressed air.
First, let’s explore how scrolling technology works. Within each scroll compressor are two intertwined scrolls: one orbiting and one stationary. Atmospheric air entering the compression chamber is gradually reduced as the orbiting scroll rotates. The compressed air is discharged through the center outlet. Since air movement is continuous from the suction port to the discharge port, scroll compressors provide a pulsation-free delivery of oil-free compressed air.
Why are oil-free scroll air compressors popular in medical and laboratory applications?
There are many reasons, but the top five include:
1. Clean, Oil-Free Air — Sullair’s SRL Series of Scroll Compressors provide 100% oil-free air for these critical applications. SRL series compressors are certified oil-free according to ISO8573-1. Oil-free compressors help eliminate potential contamination because no oils or lubricants are introduced into the air compression process.
2. Ultra-quiet operation — walking into a lab is often like walking into a library. Loud noise is a problem in medical, laboratory and test facilities, making oil-free scroll air compressors the ideal solution. Scroll compressors aren’t just quiet, they’re ultra-quiet. SRL Series compressors offer noise levels as low as 48 dBA, making them suitable for indoor applications. To compare, libraries are usually around 40 dBA. This means that scroll compressors do not require a separate soundproof room either. Scroll compressors can even be installed at the point of use, reducing installation and piping costs.
3. Small Footprint — Scrolls have the advantage of having a small footprint, which minimizes the floor space required. We’ve found that many labs tend to put the scroll compressor in a closet, which is another plus because a designated compressor room isn’t necessary.
4. Easy to Operate and Maintain — SRL Series scroll compressors are known for their simplicity and reliability. The volute design has a minimum number of moving parts, ensuring long life. If service is required, the unit is easily accessible for inspection and repairs.
5. Meeting air demand – maximizing efficiency means more than just having an efficient air compressor. One of the specific advantages of the Sullair SRL series oil-free scroll air compressors is that they have built-in logic to help use the air compressors as efficiently as possible. A patented process modifies operation by stopping unnecessary compressor pumps and automatically lowering the maximum pressure setting.
This not only saves wear and tear on the compressor, but also saves energy by not producing unnecessary air. In other words, there are additional cost savings. Thanks to the longevity of the SRL Series pumps, the compressors typically have a lifespan of 15,000 hours, typically 5,000 more running hours than some competitive units. This presents another opportunity for cost savings.
Oil-free scroll air compressors eliminate the risk of oil contamination while providing a reliable, efficient and highly cost-effective source of oil-free compressed air. As with any compressor, the best way to find out what’s best for you and your application is to contact the experts, but a scroll compressor may be just what the doctor ordered.