Are you a “Hope For The Best Harry” or a “Call In The Experts Claudia”?
Research has found that nearly half of homeowners have discovered unfamiliar nightmares after moving in, including dodgy electrical appliances, faulty boilers and leaky pipes.
The study of 2,000 homeowners found that 44% had made disappointing discoveries along the way, such as windows that wouldn’t open, peeling paint and lights that didn’t work.
While others found themselves new owners with leaky toilets, rats and mice under the floor or in the attic and mold growing in the bathroom.
One unlucky respondent even discovered that the hood was held together with Blu Tack.
And another had to redecorate after discovering the previous owners had painted around their curtains – leaving part of the wall a different color.
As a result, of those who made unwelcome disclosures, 64% admitted they regretted buying the property.
It also emerged that 32% of all homeowners have a problem in their home that needs fixing, but have avoided fixing it because they can’t afford it.
And 41% admitted they would put things like installing carbon monoxide alarms, boiler maintenance and drafty windows on the back burner, and focus on ‘easier’ tasks , such as painting and decorating.
TV presenter Dion Dublin, who supports Gas Safety Logwho conducted the research said: “Buying a property can be a stressful process and can have its downsides.
“You would expect to have problems – especially if it’s an older house – but some have discovered serious problems, which have even led them to regret the purchase.
“Buying a house is a huge and expensive thing. So it’s important to ask as many questions as possible throughout the process – no matter how silly or unnecessary you think they are – and have all the necessary checks done before or as soon as you move in.
“It may cost money at first, but it’s better than costing you more in the future, or even being dangerous.”
The study also found that 55% of homeowners had their property surveyed before moving in, but 49% still encountered an unexpected problem.
These unexpected issues have cost homeowners an average of £1,506 since moving in.
When they encounter a minor problem at home, 39% of adults said they would try to fix it themselves and 17% said they would watch a DIY YouTube video.
However, 30% said they would seek professional help, with 35% admitting that they are often unaware of the seriousness of certain problems at home.
While 66% wouldn’t know what to do if there was a gas leak and 14% were unable to locate the gas safety shut-off valve after moving in.
It also emerged that only 44% of respondents, via OnePoll, have their gas boiler serviced or checked annually.
Of those who don’t, 48% didn’t know they needed it if the boiler seemed to be working normally, while 35% blamed the cost and 31% didn’t think it was necessary because they didn’t have one. never had. problems with her.
Bob Kerr, director of gas services at Gas Safe Register, said: “Worryingly, many people do not realize that gas appliances such as stoves, fires and boilers can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. if they are not maintained and checked year after year.
“They can also cause gas leaks which, in extreme circumstances, can cause fires and explosions that cost lives and destroy neighborhoods.
“As temperatures drop and winter approaches, we urge households across the country who have gas appliances in their homes, to book their annual gas safety check with a qualified Gas Safe licensed engineer.
“And, just as important, to learn about the signs and symptoms of dangerous gas appliances, so they can act quickly in an emergency.
“The costs can be high financially if repairs or replacements are needed, but you can’t put a price on your family’s health and safety.”